Elizabeth Jameson - Curriculum Vitae
- Admitted as a solicitor to Supreme Court of Queensland 1990
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and Una Prentice Prize for top woman Law Graduate (University of Queensland) 1987
- Bachelor of Arts (double major in Japanese Language) (University of Queensland) 1985
- Licentiate Diploma (Teacher) of Speech and Drama, 1988 (Australian Music Examinations Board)
Principal and founder of Board Matters Pty Ltd, a governance advisory and education services consultancy assisting the governing bodies of companies, organisations and enterprises across Australia, and also for Board Matters Legal, associated governance legal advice service. She also holds various directorships (listed below) and is a core facilitator for the Australian Institute of Company Directors in their State, national and internal programs.
Until early 2002, Elizabeth was a partner of national law firm (Deacons), in their corporate/commercial division. Since 1991, Elizabeth has also sat on a vast number of boards and governing bodies, as reflected in this curriculum vitae. With the combination of these experiences, Elizabeth resigned as a partner in early 2002 specifically to establish Board Matters as a specialist governance advisory consultancy.
Statement of Aim
Elizabeth's aim as a consultant is to help build great governance for better boards, through the combined benefits of her own extensive practical experience as both a corporate/commercial lawyer and an active board member of various organisations.
Elizabeth has advised many for-profit companies and not-for-profit organisations across a range of industries and sectors. This includes significant governance advice, education and professional development services and also in the more technical issues under the Corporations Act, Associations Incorporation Act, and other specific legislation. Naturally as a lawyer in practise for over 15 years, it has also included the full range of technical corporate/commercial legal issues and transactions.
Writing and Speaking Engagements
In addition to conducting tailored governance professional development workshops for boards, Elizabeth undertakes a large number of writing and speaking engagements, including most recently:
- Author of 'Letter of the Law' chapter (on legal issues for boards and board members) in The Book of the Board, by David Fishel, published 2003 by the Federation Press
- Tutor for the company directors' course run by the Institute of Company Directors (Qld Div), (since Oct 2002)
- Tutor and Qld Co-ordinator for Chartered Secretaries Australia (Qld) 'Corporate Governance' subject
- Presenter for Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (Qld chapter), Brisbane, Feb 2003, on 'Improving Fund Governance Through Good Practice (not more regulation)'
- Presenter, national conference of Nonprofit Governance and Management Centre, Sydney, July 2002, on 'Advisory Boards'
- Presenter, national conference, International Year of the Volunteer, Melbourne, Nov 2000, 'Insuring Against Your Legal Liabilities'
- Presenter, annual State conference of School Age Care providers, Brisbane, Aug 2002, on 'Governance Implications for Carers Under the New Child Care Bill'
- Presenter, national Community Care Conference hosted by Aged Care Qld, Sunshine Coast, November 2002, on 'Transforming Governance for Your Service'
- Presenter, national Community Care Conference, hosted by Aged & Community Services Association of NSW & ACT, Sydney, March 2003, on 'Practical Strategies for Corporate Governance'
Elizabeth has been an active member of a large number of governing bodies of a range of for-profit and not-for-profit enterprises since 1990.
Current Appointments and Memberships
- Director, Board of Taxation, November 2009
- Director and Chair, BDO Group Holdings (Qld) Pty Ltd, November 2009
- Director, RACQ Ltd (and associated companies), June 2008
- Chair, Board of Trustees of Brisbane Girls’ Grammar School, appointed by Minister for Education in November 1994 and re-elected in 1998, 2002 and 2006
- Member Qld Law Society
- Fellow Australian Institute of Company Directors
Previous Board Appointments
- Director and Chair, Fibrecyle Pty Ltd, June 2008 - November 2012
- Director, Tarong Energy Pty Ltd (and associated companies) appointed by Minister for Mines and Energy, 2007 - 2010
- Director and Chair of Compliance Committee, MAP Funds Management Ltd and related companies, as trustee of the Medical and Associate Professions Superannuation Fund, November 1995 - September 2009
- Chair, Queensland Music Festival Pty Limited, April 2000 - September 2009
- Salaries and Allowance Tribunal under the Judges (Salaries and Allowances) Act 1967 (Qld), October 2000 - December 2007
- Chair, Creative Industries Leadership Group, January 2006 - October 2007
- Director, Ergon Energy Pty Ltd, July 2005 - November 2006
- Vice-President, Association of Independent Schools of Queensland, 2002 - 2006
- Council Member, University of the Sunshine Coast, 1999 - 2004
- Director, Qantm Pty Ltd, 1998 - 2004
- Member Management Committee, Arts Law Centre of Qld, 1991 - 1996 (President 1993-1996)
- Director, Craft Queensland, 1992 - 1995 (President 1994 - 1995)
- Director, Brisbane Festival, 1998 - 2000
- Director, Qld Writers Festival
- Director, Qld Art Gallery Foundation
- Director, Endeavour Foundation, 1992 - 1997
Other Memberships and Appointments
- Member Australian Institute of Company Directors (since 1996)
- Fellow Australian Institute of Management (since 2002)
- Member Queensland Law Society (since 1990)