Sonya Beyers - Curriculum Vitae
- Admitted as a solicitor to Supreme Court of Queensland 1990
- Admitted as a solicitor to the High Court of Australia 2006
- Bachelor of Laws (Class 2A Hons), Queensland University of Technology 2006
- Graduate, Company Director Course 2009
- Currently enrolled in Masters of Commercial Law, University of Melbourne
Consultant of Board Matters Pty Ltd
Sonya assists the governing bodies of companies, organisations and enterprises across Australia with the following governance advisory services:
- Development of governance policy and processes and drafting governance documentation including by-laws, AGM documentation, Board policies, Board procedures and governance manuals.
- Advice in respect to technical issues under the Corporations Act and Associations Incorporation Act.
- Advice regarding company officeholders' responsibilities and duties under the Corporations Law.
- Company secretariat roles such as incorporation of companies, company folder preparation and maintenance, minutes for meetings, share transfers, and preparation of explanatory memorandums to shareholders.
- Reviewing governance documentation such as constitutions and by-laws to provide clients with advice on these documents in the context of not-for-profit and for-profit environments.
- Providing advice and assistance to not-for-profit entities wishing to incorporate and obtain DGR status, including preparation of constitutions; discussions with ATO; discussions with other consultants (e.g. accountants) and assisting philanthropists to understand their ongoing role in a not-for-profit entity.
- Providing advice to clients in respect to board independence, advice on election and rotation of directors, rights and responsibilities of members, operation of Committees and preparing any consequential amendments to constitutions and/or by-laws to ensure compliance with appropriate governance standards and benchmarks.
- Drafting governance documentation including constitutions, by-laws, and AGM documentation including Chairman's notes.
- Advising boards of Government Owned Corporations in respect to their duties and responsibilities under the Corporations Law.
- Advising public company secretaries in respect to a public company's obligations under ASX listing rules.
- Researching and advising directors who have been disqualified under the Corporations Law.
- Preparation of AGM Chairman's notes and attendance at public company meetings as company's advisors.
- Assistance in voting by poll and counting of votes at company meetings.
- Research and advice to directors of public company in respect to proposed board spill at AGM.
- Preparation of documentation to effect removal of auditor by public company.
Sonya has significant experience in providing commercially relevant advice at the planning stage for corporate and trust structures and has provided advice on taxation arrangements. Sonya also has corporate and commercial experience in contract negotiation and company sales and acquisitions.
Sonya has advised many for-profit companies and not-for-profit organisations across a range of industries and sectors during her career which spans 15 years in various capacities in the legal profession.
Current Board Appointments
- Committee Member, Corporate Governance Committee, YWCA Queensland
Past Board Appointments
- Committee Member, Noah’s Ark Resource Centre (Qld) Inc.
- Queensland Law Society
- Australian Institute of Company Directors